This week we are going to do pitching or a letter to an agent (it’s much the same).
You can either base it on a big project you are working on, or one you would like to work on, or even one someone else has done (a famous book) . I want you to bring:
1. A Title
2. A log-line (that’s the thing you see below the title on a movie poster or the top two lines on the back of most paperbacks).
3. A short synopsis. No more than 300 words and probably less.
4. A short description of the book’s genre and who it is supposed to appeal to.
5. A paragraph about yourself.
6. Triangulation: three things that the book is sort of like. “In the same vein as”.
This sounds like a lot, but it isn’t really. In real life you’d also send a writing sample. Bring one if you like but no more than 300 words.
We can discuss how we’d turn these components into a real letter to an agent or publisher.